Close Menu
    Trending
    • PM Modi and Meloni spotlight deepening India-Italy ties
    • UAE and Germany review strategic ties in Berlin
    • Etihad expands Paris route with double daily A380 flights
    • Japan and South Korea launch energy security framework
    • South Korea launches $665.5 million industrial growth fund
    • AP Technologies Acquires Blueacre Technology, Adding Nitinol and Precision Laser Processing to Its Catheter Platform
    • GME posts strongest trading week in two decades
    • Dubai Green Corridor keeps cargo moving during disruptions
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    Asian FrontierAsian Frontier
    Saturday, May 23
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Editorial
    • Health
    • Luxury
    • Lifestyle
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    Asian FrontierAsian Frontier
    Home » US returns looted ancient sarcophagus to Egypt
    News

    US returns looted ancient sarcophagus to Egypt

    January 3, 2023
    Facebook WhatsApp Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Telegram Tumblr Email Reddit VKontakte

    Egyptian officials said Monday that a wooden sarcophagus on display at the Houston Museum of Natural Sciences was returned to Egypt after being looted years ago. Egyptian government efforts to stop the trafficking of antiquities are behind the repatriation. AP reports that Cairo authorities succeeded in returning 5,300 stolen artifacts to Egypt in 2021.

    Mostafa Waziri, chief of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, said the sarcophagus dates back to the Late Dynastic Period of ancient Egypt, from 664 B.C. until Alexander the Great’s campaign in 332 B.C. The sarcophagus, almost 3 meters (9.5 feet) tall with a brightly painted top surface, probably belonged to an ancient priest named Ankhenmaat, although some of the inscription has been lost.

    In a ceremony held in Cairo on Monday, Daniel Rubinstein, the U.S. charge d’affaires in Egypt, symbolically handed over the document. In more than three months, the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office determined that the sarcophagus had been looted from Abu Sir Necropolis, north of Cairo. According to Manhattan District Attorney Alvin L. Bragg, it was smuggled into the United States through Germany in 2008.

    At the time, Bragg said that the spectacular coffin had been trafficked by an organized network that looted countless antiquities from the region. As Bragg pointed out, the same network had also smuggled a gold-plated coffin out of Egypt and displayed it at the Metropolitan Museum in New York. The piece was purchased from a Paris art dealer in 2017 for approximately $4 million. It has been returned to Egypt.

    Related Posts

    PM Modi and Meloni spotlight deepening India-Italy ties

    May 21, 2026

    UAE and Germany review strategic ties in Berlin

    May 21, 2026

    Japan and South Korea launch energy security framework

    May 20, 2026

    Climate warming drives oxygen decline in rivers

    May 18, 2026

    UAE mediation delivers 410 Russia Ukraine swap

    May 16, 2026

    Trump and Xi end Beijing summit with cautious progress

    May 15, 2026
    Latest News

    PM Modi and Meloni spotlight deepening India-Italy ties

    May 21, 2026

    UAE and Germany review strategic ties in Berlin

    May 21, 2026

    Etihad expands Paris route with double daily A380 flights

    May 20, 2026

    Japan and South Korea launch energy security framework

    May 20, 2026
    © 2026 Asian Frontier | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.